Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Apple Pie Ice Cream - well, as close as I can get!

In the fall, Edy's brand came out with a seasonal Fun Flavor "Apple Pie"... who doesn't love apple pie and ice cream!? So, needless to say, I fell in love with it. Now that it's spring and rolling rapidly into summer, my craving still exists... So... I made up my own version.

APPLE PIE ICE CREAM

4 medium gala apples (I like them because they're sweeter and I had them on hand, but use whatever kind you like the best - some like them tart!)
1/2 cup or so of Granulated Baking Splenda
2 tbsp. vanilla extract (less if you like)
2 tbsp. cinnamon
4 tbsp. water

ONLY 170 calories total for the apple mixture!

This is a stove top version, I'm sure you could simply remove the cores and bake them in the oven for a long time and the flavor would be incredible. However, when it's 80 degrees outside, the last thing I want to do is have my oven on for an hour.

Peel your apples. Slice them up into about 1/2 inch wedges. If you have one of those apple slicer things, use that, then slice those in half. Take a small 1.5 quart sauce pan and put all ingredients in the pan. Toss through with a spoon. Simmer on medium for about 20-25 minutes or until they still have a little bite to them. They will need to be stirred about once every 5 minutes or so. The apples will cook down quite a bit, so double the recipe if you want more. Also, the "sauce" they create in the bottom of the pot will be perfect. If you want it a little thicker, add about 1/2 tbsp of corn starch.

Spoon a quarter of the mixture into the bottom of a small bowl, place 1/2 cup scoop of light vanilla (about 110 calories depending on the brand) on top of the hot apples, top with 2 tbsp of light cool whip (20 calories). For added crunch sprinkle with nuts or crunchy cereal. The only thing this is missing, is the crust!!

1 serving = 173 calories for the whole "sundae"

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment