Sunday, July 7, 2013

Too yummy not to post... AKA Chicky n' Dumplins

Alright, so maybe I DO need to keep up with this blog... for my few loyal followers (I'm sure you're out there, right?! Right?? Bueller?) and also to document my new recipe favorites and failures!

I've said it before but it's worth repeating... Pinterest is my BFF.

I've been trying to create a new budget for our grocery bill because things are going to get even tighter this fall when I reduce my work hours to go back to school full time and get my Masters degree. In the past I've basically just looked through the pantry and come up with things to make with items I already have on hand. However, this tends to lead me into a lot of impulse buying. I still don't really waste food (very rarely!) but I think planning a weekly menu ahead of time will help... and of course, Pinterest has gotten me very inspired.

I've tried a few recent recipes like the ever so popular Cauliflower pizza crust (which was a total flop and never got crispy for me) and a few others that we're delicious such as the Lite Lemon Bars.

Tonight however may be my new favorite go to comfort food recipe!

I'm from the south... we like biscuits and gravy... we like fried chicken (ever heard of KFC?!)... we like anything with a gravy, doughy, battered, coating...

So I searched for a "healthy" chicken n' dumplin's recipe and came across this one... which of course I modified to make lighter and to get a calorie count!

EASY PEASY CHICKY N' DUMPLINS
(Modified from The Country Cook)



10 oz. diced, raw, chicken breast (or rotisserie would be nice here too)
6 oz. diced carrots
1/2 small diced yellow onion
4-5 cups of broth (your choice - I used some bouillon - about 30 calories)
2 cloves minced fresh garlic
2/3 cup frozen peas
1 low sodium chicken gravy packet (I think I used McCormick - about 80 calories)
1 cup cold water (for gravy)
2/3 cup Market Pantry baking mix
1/3 cup warm water (for dumplings)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. thyme

In a large pot or Dutch oven saute the onions, carrots and garlic for several minutes. Next add in broth and bring to boil. Add in chicken breast, reduce to medium and cover while you prepare the gravy. Stir the gravy packet and cold water together and stir into the simmering pot. In a few minutes this will begin to thicken. Now add your peas. While the chicken and veggies are simmering go ahead and stir your warm water with your baking mix. This will form a wet, soft, gooey kind of dough. Drop it by spoonfuls into the rolling mix (mine made about 12 dumplins) reduce heat to medium low and put the lid on. Simmer for about 10 minutes. If you want your "gravy" to be even thicker add a tablespoon of corn starch dissolved in a 1/4 cup of cold water and pour into your boiling pot. 

This hearty meal serves 2. Best thing besides the taste? The nutritional stats!

Per serving: calories: 316, fat 9, carbs 54, protein 28, fiber 6, sugar 11. 




No comments:

Post a Comment