Saturday, February 11, 2012

Rutabaga Fries and Veggie "Wings"

A few weeks ago I posted about new snack finds and new to me produce ....

I decided that on Superbowl Sunday (Sorry Pats!) I would have wings and fries like the rest of America - but, without all the calories. So, I compromised and had Morningstar Farms Veggie Buffalo Wings - and made Rutabaga "fries".


So, how DO you make Rutabaga fries you ask - well, it's simple. The hardest part of Rutabaga is that it's, well, hard. You must cut off each end and peel the outer skin. The inside of a Rutabaga is much like a really hard potato. Once I got to the meat of the tuber, I cut "fries" into 3/8" strips (this does not have to be exact - but to cook evenly all pieces should be about the same thickness). Spray with Olive oil or cooking spray and season with garlic salt and black pepper. Bake on cookie sheet for at least 15 minutes each side on 400 degrees - or until desired crispness. 

The greatest thing about Rutabagas? A 10 oz. serving - only 90 calories. Also, this little tuber is high in Potassium, Calcium, Vitamin C and fiber. 

The veggie wings were definitely spicy - though a small-ish portion for the calorie cost - 5 wings = 200 calories. However, they do satisfy the craving of a breaded buffalo flavor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment