Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chili 2 Ways - Meaty and Veggie!

I make chili a different way every time I make it. Sometimes vegetarian.Sometimes with turkey, or chicken, or beef, or even hot Italian sausage. Sometimes I add carrots or zucchini or any other veggie I think might be tasty. Here are two versions I've made recently. One for my meaty friends and the other for my veg heads.



LOW FAT BEEF CHILI

1 pound Laura’s Lean Beef 4% fat
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
½ medium white onion - diced
4 cloves garlic - minced
1 can pinto beans (drained & rinsed)
1 can light red kidney beans (drained & rinsed)
1 green pepper – diced
1 large (28oz) can diced tomatoes
1 large (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 c. water
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. chili powder
½ tbsp. cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste

In Dutch oven, toss oil, onions, garlic and a dash of salt. Sweat the onions until semi transparent. Add in beef, cook until about half way done. Add water, simmer for 5 minutes. Add rest of ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Makes 13 – 1 cup servings – 146 calories and 2.4 fat grams

VERY VEGGIE CHILI


1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
10 oz. chopped baby carrots
1/2 chopped yellow onion
2/3 c. frozen yellow corn
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp to 1 tbsp each of cumin and chili powder
1/2 tbsp black pepper
salt and chipotle chile powder to taste
(I would begin with 1/2 tsp. of chipotle chile powder - it's hotter than you think.)

Entire Crock Pot - 930 calories - Yields about 10 - 1 cup servings

I just tossed all ingredients in the crock pot on low for about 5 hours. You could also easily cook this on the stove in a soup pot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment