Thursday, March 1, 2012

Talkin' bout Barbecue...

A friend was telling me that the best way to make pulled pork was in a Crock pot, slow cooked on low all day, using a fatty cut of pork like the Boston butt and using root beer as a cooking liquid. Being experimental and always calorie conscious I decided to try it with a leaner cut of meat.

PULLED PORK TENDERLOIN

1 lb. pork tenderloin
1 can of diet Root beer (I prefer A&W)

Slow cook for about 5 1/2 to 6 hours on low.

That's it! Super simple. Add your barbecue sauce when it's done and cook for another 10 minutes or so. If you prefer, add your barbecue sauce at the table. Serve with homemade cole slaw and turnip greens.

(I have no pictures because I gobbled it up before I remembered to take a shot!)

3 oz. cooked meat = 122 calories, 3g fat, 22g protein

TURNIP GREENS AND BEANS

1 pkg. frozen turnip greens
1 can, drained, pinto beans
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 beef, chicken, or vegetable bouillon cubes
1/2 - 1 tbsp. crushed red pepper
1 cup water

Bring water to boil in a large pot. Add in your bouillon, garlic and onion. Cook through for 2 minutes or until bouillon dissolves. Add in frozen greens and beans. Let simmer on medium 25-30 minutes. Stir every ten minutes or so and add a little additional liquid if necessary. 

Total calories: 415
Makes about 5 cups - 83 calories each

Of course, the appropriate Southern bread to serve with this meal is corn bread. However, it can be a little calorie expensive. I have made due with Thomas' Toast - R- Cakes Corn Muffins. Are they as good as a freshly baked, savory, dense piece of corn bread? No. Will they satisfy your craving? They might do the job. 

100 calories a pop.

Or, for 40 calories more you could have a 2"x2" square of Marie Callender's Corn Bread mix. I am not sure I have the self restraint to make a batch of corn bread and not devour the entire pan, so I opt for Toast R Cakes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment