Wednesday, August 8, 2012

it's been awhile, but I'm back!

It seems I got caught up a bit in life. Since my last post I began and completed an Intro to Nutrition course and signed up for a Master's level class in Health Education this fall. That's the big news in my personal life.

In my food life I am still maintaining my weight loss with a fluctuation of a few pounds (which is normal) and recently realized I have been maintaining my weight for over a year (14 months to be exact but who's counting). I've also been discovering new food finds and conjuring up new meals.

My breakfast this morning...


2 pieces of lite wheat toast
1 hard-boiled egg (most of the yolk removed)
1/2 ounce of crumbled feta

Put all this under the toaster oven and alakazam, you have a warm, yummy protein and carb breakfast combo for 135 calories! 

Now... moving on. New store finds:

I am addicted... completely addicted to Soy Chips. I can't even stop myself. I crave them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks... My favorite is the barbecue flavor. 


The most awesome thing about them (other than the great BBQ flavor)? They have impressive nutritional stats! One serving (20 chips) is only 110 calories, 3g fat, 3g sugar, 3g fiber and 8g protein. (that's 2g more than one egg!)

Another new find: Nature Valley Protein bars... Now, I've been eating protein bars for awhile. I've found that to get the most bang for your calorie buck the Pure Protein brand is the best. However, they tend to taste much like protein powders and less like something you want to joyfully consume. Some other bars like Kind and Mojo have the same basic nuts and gooey composition as the Nature Valley ones but have less protein. The Peanut, Almond and Dark Chocolate bar is super tasty, packed with whole nuts and leaves your mouth feeling tired from all the chewing. (which is what you want!) It's 190 calories, 12g of fat (I'm assuming from the good nut fats!), 6g of sugar (not too bad considering) and 10g protein. They may kick my Luna bars out of the running.


If you have a new product you'd like to share with me please post it in the comments. I'd love to hear about new foods to try! 




No comments:

Post a Comment