Saturday, July 23, 2011

My Plate - the new food guide... and my plate... my actual plate...

So if you haven't heard, the USDA introduced a new food guide this year to replace the food pyramid. It's called My Plate and the theory is that they are showing half of your plate should contain fruits and vegetables and the other half should be protein and grains. I think this is a good attempt to show kids especially and adults alike to rethink their plates. As a graphic designer I think visually and this new icon definitely explains it in it's most simple form.

Funny thing is, if you eat healthy anyhow you are likely already doing something of this sort. If I make dinner I am already filling half of my plate with vegetables for several reasons. Number 1, I need to get those vitamins and minerals and number 2, you can eat a lot of them for very little calories.

Here is the new food guide:


and here is my actual plate:


So if you're not making plates similar to this, you may want to rethink your meals. Show me pictures of your own plates!

No comments:

Post a Comment