Sunday, July 31, 2011

Holy MOH-lay...

It seems I've been a bit on a Mexican-Southwestern kick lately... okay, who am I kidding... for the better half of my 30 something years I've been on that kick! Since moving to New England I have struggled to find a decent authentic Mexican restaurant. This is ultra sad news because it's one of my favorite "free day" meal splurges. But, yesterday gave me new light in a dark cumin-chile world.

In searching nearby Mexican restaurants on a spur of the moment trip to the eastern shores of Massachusetts we came up with pretty slim pickins. Much to be expected when you're ocean side and seafood restaurants are taking over every square inch. My companion Googled and Urbanspooned our way to a little town 15 or so miles outside of Rockport - Cielito Lindo - which is roughly translated as beautiful sweetheart and apparently a Mexican song written in 1882.

This place was everything I was looking for... small, quaint, brightly colored, fantastic service and everything was homemade. The chips were thickly cut and served hot with a super yummy cilantro laden salsa. Tables around us were getting freshly made guacamole from a little corner near the kitchen which looked fantastic. The only reason I did not partake of the green goodness was the fact there was only one serving size - humongous! I'm fairly certain there were at least 3 to 4 avocados per massive bowl of the creamy wonder.

The order seemed simple enough: Chicken enchiladas de mole. 2 good sized enchiladas smothered in homemade mole, full of shredded chicken and wrapped in what I can only assume to be homemade corn tortillas. Served with a generous serving of black beans and Spanish rice. Oh and for good measure they threw on some cheese, sour cream and pico de gallo.

This mole sauce, was the best sauce I have ever tasted. I cannot even explain the depth of flavor. The spiciness of the chiles, richness of the chocolate and nuts. I ate every last morsel of the enchiladas and several fork fulls of each side before waving the napkin in surrender.

My companions meal was just as tasty! She ordered the Enchiladas Enfrijoladas stuffed with chorizo, cheese and topped with a black bean sauce... which was good in it's own right... but it wasn't mole!

The only sad part to this story is that Beverly, MA is a good 70 miles from my home. But don't think the next time I'm within 20 miles of Cielito Lindo I won't be heading in for some mole smothered goodness!!

Make your own mole sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment