Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sometimes you need mac n' cheese...

Maybe you're in a comfort food mood (I am often in that mood!) and you're craving the cheesy, salty, goodness that comes with mac n' cheese. Recently at one of my favorite places (read: the grocery) I stumbled upon Velveeta's 2% milk and half the fat bowl. I try to steer clear of most of the prepackaged foods when I can, but with mac n' cheese I cannot really allow myself to make a batch... I'm just not sure I possess that much self control!! So... this is a great substitute, and less calories than Velveeta's regular mac n' cheese and Kraft's mac n' cheese which both come in at 220 calories per serving.
This bowl? 180 calories... not bad at all! 

If you're a tuna fan - toss a can of white albacore in to add some lean protein and an additional 120 calories. 

If you prefer chicken - toss 3 ounces of grilled chicken (you can even buy the precooked strips if you prefer) adding about 90 calories.

Maybe you're a vegetarian - toss in some fresh diced peppers - red, green, orange, yellow, jalapeno if you want it spicy! Peppers are virtually calorie free - only about 30 calories for 1 cup of sliced. 

You could also toss in some soy crumbles or grilled tofu to add some protein. 

Tell me what you throw in mac n' cheese!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment