Monday, August 29, 2011

Who Loves Banana Nut Bread?

I do! I do! Who am I kidding? I love any kind of bread... naan, pita, bagels, English muffins, white, wheat, whole grain, Italian, potato, rye, banana nut, blueberry, zucchini, cinnamon raisin... I could go on like this for hours! Or at least until I listed every type of bread invented. But back to the point...

I am always on the search for a good way to pack in protein and fiber in a small calorie punch. While at a vitamin store I came across Gnu Foods brand bars. Since they were on sale and I am a bargain hunter I bought 3 to try. So far I've had the banana walnut bar - which totally tastes like a much denser, chewier version of banana nut bread and the cinnamon raisin, just like it says! They were both really tasty.



They aren't as high in protein as I would like, ranging from 3g - 4g per serving, but they pack a wallop of fiber - 12g! Now, that's half of your daily fiber intake. Fiber One bars and the like, have about the same amount of calories, with 9g or less of fiber, more sugar and half the protein. Go out and try yourself some of these! If you really like them, it may be more cost beneficial to buy them online or at a wholesale club.

What's the deal with fiber anyhow? Why is there so much talk around about it?

The American Dietetics Association has this to say:

"Foods rich in fiber are usually lower in fat and calories, and are also more filling. Studies show that people who consume more fiber weighed less than those who consume less fiber, suggesting that fiber intake has a role in weight control. Studies also show that fiber might reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease or even Type 2 Diabetes as well." The recommended daily value of fiber for adult women is 25g and adult men is 38g. 


So go out there and get yourself something that is full of fiber!

No comments:

Post a Comment