Friday, August 26, 2011

Not so Fried Rice

I love Chinese food. Who are we kidding, what food don't I love? (except maybe radishes) Anyhow, so I attempted to make a Not So Fried Rice last night, packed with veggies. Here's how I did it!

NOT SO FRIED RICE

1 cup brown instant rice
4 oz. pre-cooked pork loin (substitute chicken or tofu or more veggies)
1 can (drained) bean sprouts
1 large egg
1/2 tbsp. olive oil (sesame or veggie is fine too)
3/4 cup frozen peas and carrots
1 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
1/2 white onion, diced
5 oz. or about half package white mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 scallions, chopped
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. ground ginger

Serves 2 large portions - 385 calories each

First things first, the rice. Now if you prefer a different type of rice, go for it. Regardless of the type, it needs to be cold before you toss it in the wok. Pre-cook your rice to packaging directions and toss in the fridge.

While I was waiting for my rice to cool I went to work gathering all my other ingredients dicing and chopping where necessary and tossed them into a mixing bowl. 

Spray the bottom of the wok with cooking spray and bring to low medium heat. Scramble your egg in a bowl, do not add milk. Scramble egg in wok and take out to cool.

Once your rice is cold add to wok with 1/2 tbsp. of oil. Stir fry for several minutes until rice gets a little crunchy and dries out some. Add in all other ingredients including the egg and let cook through. You may have to toss around a few times to ensure you're not burning. You want to cook this on medium to medium high until all ingredients are cooked through but not soggy.

If you have your own tweaks, extra ingredients or spices please add them in the comments! I'd love to hear from my readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment