Thursday, August 11, 2011

Insanity - Day 3

I'm always last to jump on the latest workout craze bandwagon... but several folks have recommended the Insanity program to me and I thought, well, why not?!

#1 -  It kicks boredom in the teeth! 
This came at a time when I was bored, bored, bored with my workouts. I tried to change it up, to get creative, to add interval training on my own, to push myself to "muscle exhaustion" and still, I was bored. This is anything but boring. It starts with a jolt to get your heart rate going then makes you stretch all your muscles.

#2 - It reminds you that you can always push yourself further. 
You think you're in shape? You think you're a fit foodie? Think again! I seriously have not sweat this much or pushed my body this hard in probably a year. Sure, I gym, I run/walk, I lift weights, I bike... but this, is different.

#3 - Heart rate up, heart rate down, UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN.
This will help burn, burn, burn those calories. The key to interval training is muscle confusion. When your body gets used to a specific movement, or working out a muscle in a specific way, the burn evens out. This way, you are doing exercises in intervals of about one minute at a time.

#4 - You will feel stronger and proud of yourself.
After the workout, you'll be exhausted. But you'll be proud that you made it through 45 minutes of stretching, breathing, jumping, squatting, bending, pushing and pulling.

#5 -  You will SWEAT!
Some people don't like to sweat. I do. When I sweat I know I'm pushing my body to the limits. I know something is working. I know that I am feeling the burn! You will be 15 minutes into this workout and sweat will be beading all over your skin, dripping off your face and if you're like me, you'll love every second of it.

Shaun T does a great job pushing you but also constantly reminding you to drink water and take a break if you need it. These are simple exercises but the speed and agility needed for them will push you harder than you thought it could.

Do I think it's worth $150? Maybe, considering you don't need a gym, you don't need weights or any other tools. All you need is yourself, a DVD player, TV and understanding neighbors!

You can generally find used copies much more affordable - Craigslist, Amazon, eBay, etc.

Do I recommend it? Absolutely. It's day 3 and I still want to do it tomorrow. I'll keep you updated on my "beach body abs" and when/if they decide to show themselves.

If you want to read more on the workout, reviews, or order it. Check out the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment