Saturday, February 19, 2011

The double-edged sword of "thinner"...

If you've read about me, you know, weight has always been an issue. I can't really remember a time when I was "thin" except maybe up until the age of... seven let's say. I blame it on early puberty at age 10, genetics and of course bad eating habits. And even though I've lost almost 100 pounds and am a healthy weight, my brain is still catching up. There is a downside and an upside to reaching your goals in my experience, and so you won't be surprised if this happens to you and focus on the negatives, I've outlined my experience here.

The downside:

When you've spent the majority of your life feeling and looking fat, it's a hard thing to swallow when you become thinner. Inside your head, you're still 60, 75 or 90 pounds larger. Sure, I can look in the mirror and know that I'm smaller, a lot smaller, but I also know that I'm not quite there yet. There's still a little pudge hanging about and some areas that need toning. Some may be loose skin, and I know you don't want to hear that, but it's true. You can't stretch a balloon out a hundred pounds over it's normal size and not expect it to be a little looser around some edges.

It takes awhile to reprogram your brain, but it will happen. Maybe you need affirmations to yourself on a daily basis. Maybe you need constant reminds by trying on your "fat clothes". Or maybe you need to hang out with someone you haven't seen in awhile and bask in their amazement of how good you look. We all need that. And it's okay to use these techniques to remind yourself how far you've come.

Also, most people you are around will be proud of you and cheer you on, but some people will be... well rude, maybe jealous. Those people will tell you you're getting too skinny and you need to eat something. I'm sure they think it's encouraging and aren't trying to hurt your feelings but the facts still remain. Weight and body image will forever be a sensitive issue, it is for everyone, even people who have never struggled with their weight in either direction. It's the human condition I'm afraid, that and the American culture. But that's a whole other blog.

The point is this, you control your body, your weight and your health. Don't let the negatives ruin your health and nutrition goals. Only you can decide what shape you want to be in. And if you encounter these people who try and tell you to eat something after you've worked your ass off, literally, you simply bite your tongue and smile to yourself because you and the people that matter are supporting you.

The upside:

With that being said, I'd like to talk about the positives of being thinner. Notice how I keep saying thinner, and not thin? - there's a reason for that, you don't have to be a size two to be a healthy weight - it's all about your perception of your own body. Now, once you start getting to your goal body you'll notice your confidence build, your brain will slowly start to catch up with your body and you'll realize you are on your way, you'll feel like a weight (literally) has been lifted off your shoulders, but best of all, you'll feel healthy!

What do I mean when I say healthy? I mean you'll have energy to do whatever your little heart desires. You'll feel better inside and out. Your joints won't ache. Your back won't hurt. Your heart won't race from climbing a flight of stairs. You'll realize you can walk your dog down the street for more than twenty minutes with little effort or thought. You'll want to choose the healthier choice at dinner because you remember the lethargy you felt from eating a pizza all by yourself. These things will happen, gradually but then they'll knock you over with an overall positive emotion.

Confidence is such a huge part of weight loss for me. I do things now I wouldn't have dreamed of doing a few years ago. I am much more comfortable in my own body. More confident in my ability and strength. I wore a bathing suit last year, in a public pool, for the second time since I was a kid and I felt, good. You may catch yourself looking in the mirror a lot, and you're not being cocky, you're taking a step back and saying, "wow, look at what I've accomplished, it's amazing".

You can do it! You will feel better, live longer, have more energy, confidence and strength. It will change you. You can show off your insides, on your outsides!

No comments:

Post a Comment