Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Sin-a-mon-y breakfast...

I love cinnamon - it brings me a feeling of warmth, reminds me of the holiday season and freshly baked cookies. When I was in grade school, my Grandmother would make me a breakfast of oatmeal and cinnamon toast. Sometimes I like to relive that moment with a little healthier kick to it. My Grandmother was akin to Paula Deen in the butter regard, so I had to adapt my recipe a little.


2 slices of Country Kitchen Light Italian bread (with yummy sesame seeds on top!) 80 calories
1 tbsp. Land O'Lakes Whipped butter - 25 calories
2 tbsp. baking Splenda (or the generic -Target carries a less expensive brand)
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon

Place the toast under the broiler for a few minutes until golden and crusty!

For the oatmeal, I used prepackaged low sugar Apple Cinnamon - 100 calories

The coffee - Archer Farms (Target, again!) Cinnamon Vanilla Nut
1/2 tbsp. of fat free half and half
splenda

Total breakfast yumminess - 215 calories

If you didn't know Cinnamon has great health benefits:

 - a great source of manganese, dietary fiber, iron and calcium
 - has been proven to lower LDL cholesterol (the bad one!)
 - helps control blood sugar for folks with Type 2 Diabetes
 - has anti-inflammatory properties
 - and just smelling cinnamon improves memory 

So get your cinnamon on!

No comments:

Post a Comment